- Social Media for family historians by Carole Riley. It reminded me it was about time I did another blog post! I got some tips from seeing what was on Carole's i-google page. While not a big facebook user I did go home & "like" various organisations and/or bookmark their web page including the Cairns & District Family History Society.
- Newspapers: bring your family history to life by Helen Smith which used great examples from local papers
- DNA for genealogists by Kerry Farmer which gave a really useful run down for people like me that know very little about DNA.
- look at the church register - I've placed my order so will now have to wait & see
- post on a forum - I've posted & will see what suggestions I get
For me the main benefit in attending an expo as opposed to reading a book or magazine or blog was in hearing a presenter's comment that clicked with my research or in seeing something on the presenter's screen or in the exhibitor's hall that gave me ideas to pursue as well as seeing there are lots of other family history researchers in my local area.
I am pleased I went along.